- Table of the Best External Hard Drives Reviews
- 1. Seagate Expansion 2TB External Hard Drive (STEA2000400)
- 2. WD 4TB My Passport External Hard Drive
- 3. Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB External Hard Drive (STDR2000103)
- 4. Toshiba HDTB420XK3AA 2TB External Hard Drive
- 5. Toshiba 1TB External Hard Drive (HDTC910XK3AA)
- 6. Seagate 6TB External Desktop Hard Drive Storage (STEL6000100)
- 7. WD 2TB Elements External Hard Drive (WDBU6Y0020BBK-WESN)
- 8. WD 4TB Desktop External Hard Drive (WDBBGB0040HBK-NESN)
- 9. LaCie Rugged Mini 1TB Hard Drive (LAC301558)
- 10. Seagate 4TB for PlayStation 4 External USB Hard Drive (STGD4000400)
- Buyer’s Guide for the Best External Hard Drive
Sometimes you need that extra space, which only the best external hard drives can offer. Most laptops have a limited amount of hard drive space (in most cases, it is 500GB or less). And this means it is very easy to surpass their storage space. But when you have a premium quality external hard drive, then this should not be a problem. External hard drives have massive storage capacity, and this makes them ideal for backing up or storing extra files such as photos and videos. Besides, they are great for people who are always traveling, as they are portable; hence, can be used anywhere. To know the bestselling ones, check out the following reviews.
Table of the Best External Hard Drives Reviews
1. Seagate Expansion 2TB External Hard Drive (STEA2000400)
Your collection of files is always growing. That’s why you should have the Seagate STEA2000400 External Hard Drive. It is designed to provide extra storage, and this means you can use it to free up space on the internal drive of your computer or use it to store as many files as you can. Setting it up is a breeze, given that it comes with a USB cable, which you connect it (the external hard drive) to and you are good to go. The Windows operating system automatically recognizes it, implying you will not need to install or configure any software. And when it comes to saving files in this hard drive, simply drag and drop the file you want to save and you are done.
- Ships fast to eliminate any inconveniences
- Works nicely with PS4
- Has more than enough space to copy/expand laptops
- Very light and, therefore, slides all over
2. WD 4TB My Passport External Hard Drive
Customers who have used this external hard drive before have praised its performance. They say it is a trusted external hard drive for storing a massive amount of photos, music, and videos. And we totally agree with them, considering that this device is equipped with built-in 256-bit AES hardware encryption that has Western Digital Security software to help keep content safe and private. Moreover, the external hard drive will let you back up your videos, music, photos, and documents automatically since it comes with the Western Digital Backup software. The drive comes with all the software to protect all your data, and it is ready to use out of the box.
- Durable and sturdy for long-lasting performance
- Works great as a backup drive
- Can easily be carried in the bag
- The design and new color look amazing
- A bit slow
3. Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB External Hard Drive (STDR2000103)
Considering the ultimate simplicity used to make it, this ultra-slim and light external hard drive will no doubt make your digital life a breeze. It is very slim; hence, you can carry it anywhere and use it at any time. Nevertheless, do not let its convenient design fool you; the external hard drive boasts a storage capacity of 4TB. This means it will provide you with more than enough space to keep all your files and documents. It does not require an external power supply and it boasts plug-and-play functionality to make it more convenient. The external hard drive comes with a two-month complimentary membership to Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan.
- Works great and looks rugged
- Compatible with PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 4 Pro
- Installs quickly and effortlessly
- Super light and small for easy carry
- The software/app could be better
4. Toshiba HDTB420XK3AA 2TB External Hard Drive
To give you peace of mind during purchase, Toshiba has backed this external hard drive with a 1-year limited warranty. Besides, they have included amazing features that have convinced us to regard this external hard drive as one of the best on the market. The unit is powered by USB 3.0 technology, which makes it transfer files and documents at a terrific speed. The USB 3.0 technology, however, does not interfere with its ability to work with USB 2.0 devices. Moreover, the external hard drive is easy to use since it offers plug-and-play operation, which does not require software installation. That being said, all you need to do is plug it to your PC/laptop, and then drag and drop files either way.
- Works perfectly and stores games nicely
- Works great with Mac
- Small and lightweight for optimum portability
- Not the fastest as advertised
5. Toshiba 1TB External Hard Drive (HDTC910XK3AA)
You get a lot of things when you buy this external hard drive. Well, these items include a 2-year standard limited warranty that protects against defects; a USB3.0 cable, which ensures fast file transfer; a quick-start guide to help you get the most out of the external hard drive, and download software. Moreover, this external hard drive displays a sleek design, which is available in many different colors to suit your personal style. It is portable, and, therefore, it will let you use it anywhere life takes you. It has the Toshiba Storage Security Software that will let you secure it to a unique password. Plus it has the Toshiba Storage Backup Software to prevent you from losing valuable data.
- Works great with PS4
- Its price is decent
- Portable and very easy to use
- Runs smoothly and transfers data quickly
- Requires reformatting on Mac OS Sierra
6. Seagate 6TB External Desktop Hard Drive Storage (STEL6000100)
One problem with most external hard drives is that they are incompatible with Windows and Mac. However, that is not the case with the Seagate 6TB STEL6000100 model. It comes with NTFS driver, which makes it compatible with Mac and can be used interchangeably between Mac and Windows without having to reformat anything. Sounds fantastic, right? Furthermore, this desktop hard drive storage comes with downloadable Seagate backup software that will allow you to effortlessly back up your favorite photos, videos, and files. Seagate has also included a 2-month complimentary membership to Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan. This means you will be able to edit, share, organize, and store your full-resolution photos regardless of where you are.
- Offers plug-and-play functionality for easy use
- Comes with handy USB ports
- Easy to set up and works well
- A little louder than usual
7. WD 2TB Elements External Hard Drive (WDBU6Y0020BBK-WESN)
You should also check out this external hard drive as well. This is because it has everything you have always wanted in an external hard drive. It boasts a storage capacity of 2TB, and this means it will let you store as many files, movies, photos, and documents as you want. What’s more, it is designed with ultimate reliability and quality in mind. For this reason, expect it to improve the performance of your PC. The external hard drive transfers files, documents, movies, and music quite fast. And this is owed to the fact that it has amazing features not to mention being incredibly easy to use. It is compatible with both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0.
- Easy to use and functions well
- Comes in a variety of versions
- Does not require much effort to set up
- Thicker than anticipated
8. WD 4TB Desktop External Hard Drive (WDBBGB0040HBK-NESN)
The WD 4TB WDBBGB0040HBK-NESN will not just store your data but also will make sure that no one accesses it without your permission. Well, it achieves that through the WD Security software, which allows you to set your own personalized password to keep your content safe and secure. The external hard drive also boasts a massive capacity of 4TB to ensure that you have plenty of room to save innumerable photos, movies, and music, among other files. It is compactly designed; thus, you can carry it and use it anywhere. WD has backed this external hard drive with a 3-year limited warranty to prove to you that they are a reputable manufacturer that stands behind their products.
- Arrives fast to eliminate the inconveniencing wait-times
- Affordable and writes well
- Works great with Xbox One
- Has capacity for all the files
- Tends to cause boot problems
9. LaCie Rugged Mini 1TB Hard Drive (LAC301558)
Your external hard drive should not just have high-performing software; it should also be well built. And that is exactly what the LaCie Rugged Mini 1TB Hard Drive (LAC301558) is all about. It is so strong that you can drive a 1-ton car yet it still survives and works as expected. Ideally, the manufacturer has not just focused on making it one of the strongest on the market. We are saying this because the hard drive gives the terrific speed of USB3.0 and, at the same time, it offers backward compatibility with USB 2.0. With that said, this hard drive can be used on nearly any computer. Ideally, it comes equipped with the built-in LaCie Private-Public software to help keep your files secure and protected.
- Compact and works fast
- Easy to set up and looks cute
- Boasts loads of storage
- Not the fastest
10. Seagate 4TB for PlayStation 4 External USB Hard Drive (STGD4000400)
If you want to take your gaming experience to another level, then this is the external hard drive to consider. With a storage capacity of 4TB, this unit will let you store over 100 games. This means you will not have to uninstall and reinstall games. In addition, it is USB powered, and this eliminates the need for an extra power adapter. It looks sleek; thus, you will not shy away from taking it out of your bag and placing it on the table where everyone can see it. It is also rugged enough to stand up to any abuse. The hard drive is very easy to use, given that it plugs directly into any USB port on the PlayStation 4 Console.
- Sets up quickly and easily
- Small and works as advertised
- Its price fits the bill
- Takes quite long to download games
Buyer’s Guide for the Best External Hard Drive
To get a top quality external hard drive, consider the following factors.
Many laptop users and gamers have bought external hard drives only to realize that they cannot work with their operating systems. As such, make sure that the external hard drive you are getting will work well with your desktop or laptop.
You should not assume that all external hard drives are portable. With that said, be sure to settle for external hard drives with compact designs. Also, ensure that they are super lightweight for easy carrying. Such a design should, however, not interfere with the sleekness and/or ruggedness of your external hard drive.
We bet this should be the first factor to consider if you want to end up with a suitable external hard drive. That said, go for an external hard drive with a large storage capacity if you have a lot of photos, videos, music, and documents to store or back up.
In our opinion, your external hard drive should not just act as a storage unit; it should also give you peace of mind by protecting your files from unauthorized access. This means when you are set to buy an external hard drive, consider the one that comes with backup software as well as security software. Security software will help you create your password for maximum security. Backup software, on the other hand, will help you back up your files, so that you are not greatly affected in the event that your laptop or PC is damaged.
An external hard drive is really important to anyone who values convenience. They are versatile; hence, you can use them as backups or just storage units. With them, you will not need to delete your files because all of them cannot fit in your laptop. That said, do not close this page without choosing one.